Thursday, June 30, 2011

It's Not My Fault I Turned Out This Way: RPM Chart, March 1975

I was born March 12, 1975. I've found a page - on a government website, no less - that indexes all of the RPM Canadian charts down the years. I looked at the chart that was current on the day I was born - the chart published March 1, 1975.

It's pretty dire. Music sucked when I was born. The Eagles were at #1, but it was the fifth-place song that told the tale, 'Have You Never Been Mellow' by Olivia Newton-John. This is a highly mellow collection of songs, and the Eagles' contribution, 'Best of My Love', is no exception. Barry Manilow's schlock masterpiece 'Mandy' is at #3. Helen Reddy, Linda Ronstadt, Donny & Marie Osmond, Frankie Valli and Tony Orlando & Dawn all feature.

On the other hand, you get a few great proto-disco tracks, including Gloria Gaynor's take on the Jackson 5's 'Never Can Say Goodbye' and Carl Douglas's 'Kung Fu Fighting'.

14 of the 50 songs are CanCon, and Bachman-Turner Overdrive's 'Roll On Down the Highway' is the highest-charting at #7. A Foot in Coldwater's timeless 'Make Me Do Anything You Want' is number fifty. As you might expect, there's a good deal I've never heard of: raise your hands, Ray Materick, Bond or Myles and Lenny.

Not the best moment in musical history, Canadian or otherwise. But an interesting time capsule.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...