Saturday, April 2, 2011

Wrong Number

"Hello? Is Steve there?"

"No, I'm sorry. You've got the wrong number."

Presented with this situation, there is really only one correct response. Something along the lines of this:

"Oh, I'm sorry. My mistake. Goodbye."

What I don't think I'll ever understand is why anyone seems to think there are other possibilities here - that it's not rude beyond belief to respond with any of the following:

"Well, is Christie there?"

"Is this 416-123-4567?"

"Well what number am I calling?"

"Who am I speaking to?"

or, most preposterously: "Are you sure?"

Do people suspect that the right question might turn a wrong number magically into the right one? Or are people just looking to make conversation, blithely unaware that they've interrupted a total stranger and for whatever reason just won't let it go?

Ridiculous either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...